Thursday, September 25, 2008

Feng Shui - What is it and Why is it Green?

Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art and science that literally means wind and water, the seen and the unseen energies in our environment. Balancing these energies in your home or office can benefit your health, your relationships, your creativity and even your finances. Feng Shui uses energy positively and effectively. 
Like Feng Shui, environmentalism is about living consciously - being aware of what we use, what we eat, what we leave in our wake.  It is giving honor to ourselves, our families, other living beings and the earth.  
Feng Shui and Eco-Friendly Living have alot in common. I am learning just how much they are similar, and how to integrate them both into my home environment. Breaking old habits, looking at my home with different options and possibilities, thinking about the food I eat, the products I choose (or choose to pass up!), and in general the way I live life. It's a minefield out there! So, making choices is hard. 
This blog is designed to be a sharing-ground for Green choices. I will pass information to you, and I hope you pass on products and tips you have tried and are happy with. Please leave comments! When ideas are also good Feng Shui, I will let you know. There will be some Feng Shui information too. If you want more info on Feng Shui than is here, you can go to my website (linked at right), e-mail me or call me. 
Feng Shui Idea:
Three rules to get started-
   1. Never have anything in your home that you don't really use, need or have to have. Just don't buy it. And if you already did, get rid of it. Sell it (on eBay, at a garage sale, etc.), give it to someone who really wants it or donate it.
   2. Never have anything in your home that is broken. Fix it or throw it out!
   3. Only have items in your home that you truly love, treasure and that bring you happiness each time you look at it. 

Green Thing:
   I have a war on plastic. It is everywhere. I wonder- what did people do before it was invented? There are so many forms of it, some of it is recyclable, some not. The little numbers in the triangle on the bottom tells if it is. It is mostly not recycled by anyone. All of it is bad. Some leaches into our food and drinks. It is toxic. It is made of non-renewable resources (petroleum). I swear it breeds in the cabinet when I try to save it. I had some fabric I didn't want anymore, so I spent an afternoon sewing some shopping bags. But, if you don't sew, buy some reusable bags. Sturdy ones that won't fall apart. Chic ones if you are a fashion forward person. Keep them in your car or by the front door so you won't forget to use them. I was a little shy about using them at my grocery store at first, but then the clerk said you wouldn't believe how many people use them. (Really??? Great!)
Now it makes me think of how NOT to use plastic bags. Like I said, they are everywhere.  I do not love them, so they are NOT good Feng Shui.






 

1 comment:

henrysmom said...

very interesting tips....hmmm...extra fabric....i WONDER if i have any?? Linda

Copyright Karma

Thank you for not copying my words, thoughts, ideas, images or art without my permission.